My Blog List

Saturday, March 27, 2010

You get what you give

"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them." John F. Kennedy

The other day when I left my condo in the morning I first saw a nickle on the pavement outside the building. When I bent to pick it up I saw a quarter then some other change. I picked it all up and threw it in my pocket. When I got to work I told my friend Paul about it. He said you probably found a dollar I bet. After I went to my desk and counted and it was 83 cents, 17 cents short. I told Paul and he said I bet you will find the other 17 cents today. He said let me tell you a story. Paul proceeded to tell me something that happened to him, his friend and son back in 1992 when he was in the army. This is what Paul said: My friend my son and myself were on the way to Calgary from Edmonton to go fishing. Linda , my wife had made us food for the trip. We had about $35 to spend on gas and any incidentals. On the way my friend saw a Kentucky Fried Chicken and we decided we wanted something to eat so we stopped even though we really couldn't afford it. But we did. We bought $13.85 in chicken. Then we continued on our way to Calgary. We then saw a guy broken down at the side of the road and we stopped to help him with his flat tire. When we were done the guy says what can I do for you? Can I give you something? Us guys say no we are just glad we could help.
But the guy really wanted to thank us. He put his hand in his pocket and pulled out some money and puts it in my (Paul) hand and says I want you to buy something for the little boy.
We get in the car and we counted it and it was exactly the same amount as we had spent on the KFC.
Very cool eh. Someone was watching out for them. They freely helped another person and got paid in spades. People should always help others just for the sake of it and if you do your life will be better in some way, even if it is just feeling good about yourself.

Oh on the way home that night I found another quarter in the parking lot making my total finding of $1.08.

I left my loonie in an empty bird bath on the way home that day and last night left in in The CP rail sign at CP's Headquarters. Today's spot to be determined.

Act of Service: Next time you see someone broken down on the highway stop and help them.

1 comment: