My Blog List

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Earth Day

" Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." Marcel Proust

This morning my friend Shauna called and we had a long philosophical talk about things. One thing we talked about was how do we know our purpose, why are we on this earth, what are we supposed to accomplish. If we weren't born would it matter would our family and friends lives be better/worse or different. Neither of us were quite sure why we are on this earth. But before we finished talking Shauna says to me that she is going to cut her meat intake by 1/3 and start to buy meet that has been produced/grown (not sure of the word here) by treating the animals humanely and slaughtering them in the least cruel way. She said that I inspired her to do this because I deeply care about the environment and have chosen not to eat beef and pork due to the effect it has on the environment. It is my little part. She then said maybe that is part of my purpose that I educated her on the environment and she in turn will educate someone and we will help save the planet one person at a time. Maybe it is part of my purpose who knows.
So anyway I just went to The Good Earth Cafe to get some tea and they had a donation box toward Earth Day to help people and the environment where they buy their coffee from. I thought after the environmental talk earlier it was the perfect place to leave my Loonie.

Act of service for the day: do something today to help the planet, either it be recycle, clean up some litter on the street, take reusable bags to the store etc there is so much you can do to help.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I am definitely moving more towards free trade coffee. It costs a heck of a lot more, but the coffee tastes great and its a better return for the coffee grower and his family.